I made enough of this to serve 20 people on Monday Night. People LOVED it and a few have asked for the recipe. My husband requests it for dinner all of the time, and I have to restrain him from eating all of it.
Laura’s Chicken Curry
serves 4 people
3 tablespoons olive oil or more to taste
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
7 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon paprika
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
salt to taste
8 chicken thighs - cut into bite-size pieces
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup plain yogurt
1 can coconut milk
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
How to Make:
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Saute’ onion until lightly browned and
3. Then stir in garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, bay leaf, ginger, sugar and salt.
4. Continue stirring for 2 minutes.
5. Add chicken, tomato paste, yogurt, and coconut milk.
6. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
7. Remove bay leaf.
8. Stir in lemon juice and cayenne pepper. Simmer 5 more minutes.
The result should be thicker in texture and extremely aromatic.
Vegetarian Alternative: Another alternative is to substitute extra firm tofu for the chicken. I saute it in the pan with the olive oil after I cook down the onions, that way all of the onion flavor is infused. Then once they have browned, I start with step number three in the directions.
Final Step: Serve over jasmine rice.
If you are an athlete, the garlic, ginger, and turmeric are natural anti-inflammatories for the body.